Monday, March 4, 2013

RICKY SCHRODER DIRECTS, STARS IN ‘OUR WILD HEARTS’ MARCH 9 ON HALLMARK MOVIE CHANNEL


RICKY SCHRODER ON HIS ALL-FAMILY FILM, ‘OUR WILD HEARTS’



When I reached Ricky Schroder on Thursday, the actor/writer/director was in New York City, emotionally preparing himself for Friday’s grueling event: being the guest of honor at a Friar’s Club Roast, hosted by his LONESOME DOVE co-star D.B. Sweeny, with a panel that includes Gilbert Gottfried, and Ricky’s SILVER SPOONS parents Erin Gray and Joel Higgins.

RICKY:  Hopefully they won’t cut me up too bad, but I’m sure they’ve got lots of material ready. If it’s funny, heck yeah, I’ll put it on YouTube. 



HENRY:  Speaking of YouTube, a little while ago I was watching WHISKEY LULLABY, the music video you directed and starred in, for Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss.  It must be a kick to know that fifteen million people have looked at it on YouTube.

RICKY:  It’s so cool.  Actually I hadn’t seen the video forever, and then last week I was at my house with some friends who are songwriters.  We watched the video, and I saw that many hits, and I was like, WOW!  That is a lot of people who have seen it!  It’s a special part of my career, that video.  It really touched people.  That video was inspired by, well obviously the song, but it was dedicated to my grandparents.  He was a World War II soldier, and part of what I used for inspiration. 





 HENRY:  Well, first let me tell you that I really enjoyed OUR WILD HEARTS.  That’s the first thing that I’ve seen that you directed, and I was very impressed. 

RICKY:  Thank you for saying that; I’m glad you enjoyed it.  One of the best parts and surprises of making  OUR WILD HEARTS was getting to know my family better, by working with them, and letting them experience what it’s like to do what I do and to live the life I’ve led.  My wife and daughters and sons had an opportunity, by working with me, to understand their dad, and I got to know my kids better as well.  It was an unexpected bonus of the whole event.

HENRY:  I had a great talk with Cambrie.  She’s a charming young lady.  You must be very proud. 

RICKY:  She is an amazing young woman.  She is a great student, great athlete, great person, and just very talented, with raw potential with her acting, incredible work ethic.  So yes, I’m very proud of my daughter.  Of all my kids, but we’re talking about Cambrie, and I’m extremely proud of Cambrie. 

HENRY:  The audience knows you mostly as an actor, but you’ve written three movies; you’ve directed seven, including a horror movie in Bucharest – that really surprised me. 

RICKY:  HELLHOUNDS.

HENRY:  Right.  Now tell me, have you ever worn as many hats in one production as you do in OUR WILD HEARTS? 

RICKY:  You know, my very first movie (as a director) was called BLACK CLOUD, and I wrote and directed and produced and had a small role in it.  This film I have a very large role in, compared to BLACK CLOUD.  So this was unique in that I was a co-star of the movie.  So I was oftentimes confused.  I had to prepare as an actor; I had to prepare as a director; I had to make budget decisions.  So I was constantly morphing from one position to another within a day’s work. 

HENRY:  That’s got to be pretty demanding.

RICKY:  It was fun, I’ll tell you.  I had such a blast making the movie.  Really good time. 

HENRY:  You’re directing your daughter – actually two daughters and two sons – in one movie –

RICKY:  And my wife.

HENRY:  Oh, which character is she?

RICKY:  She’s the masseuse.  She did a cameo.  The rich lady, Barbara, who wants to buy Bravo, she’s her masseuse.  So all six Schroders are actually on-camera. 



HENRY:  Is it difficult to be objective and direct people you know as well as your own family?

RICKY:  Oh no.  When I’m directing, they’re not my family.  (laughs)  They’re an actor or actress, and they have a job to do, and I have a certain expectation of performers.  I expect them to show up prepared; I expect them to know their lines, to come to the set with an idea for the scene, with an idea for how to bring it alive.  I expect quite a bit from people I work with because I expect a lot from myself.  And I didn’t cut my family any slack in that regard.  If anything, I was probably tougher on Cambrie than on others.

HENRY:  Well, I think it pays off, because the performance is there. 

RICKY:  Well thank you.  You know we made this film with a lot of heart and soul behind it, but limited resources.  So we had to maximize every moment of daylight we had.  I called in friends and favors to come work on the film.  Our cinematographer Steve Gainer, who I love making movies with, and who also is a producer, I was able to get him.  And typically on these sorts of budgeted films, you can’t get some of the quality production value that we were able to achieve.  And everybody pulled together for that reason.  Everybody wasn’t there because they were getting a big fat paycheck.  They were there because we wanted to make a movie.  And we wanted to make a fun movie, and a family movie, and that’s what we did.

HENRY:  Usually when we’re talking about a western, it’s a story set in the 1870s or 1880s.  But this is a present-day story.  Do you consider OUR WILD HEARTS a western?       

RICKY:  Oh yes.  OUR WILD HEARTS is definitely, in my mind, a modern western.  There’s the villain Grizz, who is trying to catch Bravo, and then trying to kill Bravo.  So it’s got the elements of the good guys and the bad guys.  It’s got guns shooting in it.  It’s got the scenery of the west.  I consider it a modern western.

HENRY:  I was watching LONESOME DOVE just the day before I watched OUR WILD HEARTS, and it struck me that there are major parallels between your LONESOME DOVE character of Newt, and your daughter Cambrie’s character of Willow –

RICKY: -- Wow!  I never even thought of that, but you’re right!

HENRY:  While your lives are very different, both of your lives have been blighted by not knowing who your father is.  And hurt by their fathers not having a place in their lives. 

RICKY:  I was not conscious of that, but now that you’ve pointed that out, the theme of Newt not knowing…  Well, actually Newt knew he was Call’s son, but he was never acknowledged, he was never treated as a son.  So it’s a slight difference, but the theme is the same; you’re right.  Willow, lacking that father figure, that role, that man in her life, as Newt did.  I wasn’t conscious of that at all when I was writing it.  Very astute of you to make that observation.

HENRY:  Thank you.  Where did the idea for the story come from?


 
RICKY:  It came from my wife and daughter.  My daughter has wanted to perform, and be an actress, since she was six years old.  She was actually in WHISKEY LULLABY, the Brad Paisley, Alison Krauss video I directed when she was about six years old.  And so ever since that experience, she’s said, “Daddy, I want to do this more.”  And so she’s gone to acting classes and studied, and I’ve worked with her.  She’s gone on a few auditions over the years.  But I wanted to be the first person to direct her.  And I wanted it to be a time in her life where she could remember it, and she could appreciate it, and if she wanted to pursue this career, she could have a chance of success.  Where if you start when you’re six years old, it’s very unlikely you’ll have a career as an adult.  

HENRY:  This is true; your career is very much the exception rather than the rule.  Because how old were you when you first started?

RICKY:  I made my first movie when I was seven.  And I started when I was five, doing TV commercials and things.

HENRY:  The story concerns a girl who is seeking out her father, and her relationship with a wild stallion.  Now I know you are a very serious horse person.  Is Cambrie?

RICKY:  She’s more serious – she’s probably spent more time in the saddle over the past ten years than I have.  She did all of her own riding, including bareback.  She didn’t do one of the most dangerous stunts, when the horse had to turn over and rear on top of her.  That was actually the only moment in the movie when I didn’t treat her like an actress.  (laughs)  I really treated her like a daughter at that moment because I was scared, not that I wouldn’t be scared for my actress, or any person, doing a stunt on a horse, because I am aware of the danger.  But there was an extra feeling of protectiveness with Cambrie, because she was my daughter.

HENRY:  Where did you shoot that beautiful herd of horses? 

RICKY:  We shot the film just north of Simi Valley, believe it or not.  Where they shot LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE.  It’s just outside of Los Angeles, and Tonia and Todd Forsberg, who were my wranglers and producing partners, they provided all of the livestock and horses.  We even got some footage of real wild mustangs, which we intercut in the movie, which I got from a wonderful documentary filmmaker who’s shooting a documentary about the wild horse.  The whole movie was shot on that mountain range and that ranch.  My home is actually Willow’s home in the movie.  And the exterior of Grizz’s home is my neighbor’s home, and the interior of Grizz’s home is my home.  So we used our farm, where we live in the Santa Monica Mountains.  We shot at my farm for three days.  We shot in Malibu for a day.  We shot the rest up on that ranch. 

HENRY:  About how long was the whole shooting schedule?

RICKY:  We shot the movie in fourteen days. 

HENRY:  Wow!  That’s remarkably fast, as you know. 

RICKY:  That was remarkably fast, and we finished on-time.  I work very fast.  I haven’t been given the budgets yet to have the luxury of time.  So we accomplished a lot with the resources we had.

HENRY:  What were the biggest challenges you faced making OUR WILD HEARTS?

RICKY:  Time.  Time is the enemy when you’re making a movie.  The lack of time.  You always want more time; you don’t have enough time.  So every day when you show up to work, you look at your day’s call sheet.  And you prioritize.  Where am I going to cut corners today?  And where am I going to spend my extra time?  And so you have to prioritize as a director.  Every morning, when you show up.  And there’s a whole bunch of things that factor in, like weather, and sometimes working with animals when they don’t want to cooperate.  Other variables that come at you.  You can have done all the planning that you want, but you have to be able to adapt, because all of a sudden, let’s say the last shot of your movie, and it’s overcast, and looks like June gloom, with white-out.  So you have to be able to scramble and have a cover scene, where it’s not as important to have the beautiful golden-hour light.  So the enemy is time. 

HENRY:  Cambrie is in high school.  Is she going to be doing more acting now, or finishing her education first?

RICKY:  She’s out looking for the next project, yes, but she’s like a racehorse, she’s a thoroughbred, my daughter.  She just wants to race into everything.  So I’m a bit concerned that I’ve opened up the door now.  And that she’s going to perhaps loose focus on the goals that I want her to achieve.  But it’s really not what I want her to achieve, it’s what she ends up wanting to achieve.  Of course I want my daughter to finish high school, and go to college.  And she’ll only be a better actress as time influences her.  So I’m not really excited for her working again soon. 

HENRY:  How about your sons, who are also in the movie, as Grizz’s sons.  Are they planning on acting careers?

RICKY:  No.  My youngest son is exploring a military career, and so he’s waiting to hear if he’s been chosen for one of the academies.  He’ll find out this summer.  My other son is more interested in business.  So my sons don’t show a desire for it (an acting career), and that’s absolutely fine with me. 

HENRY:  Your movie is premiering on the Hallmark Movie Channel, but I believe you made it independently. 

RICKY:  Hallmark came along during the post production process.  We actually began production, making it as a family independent project, and thankfully Hallmark came into the project during post, liked what they saw, and acquired it.

HENRY:  Were there any changes that they required?

RICKY:  No, they liked what we had.

HENRY:  Martin Kove is your cheerfully nasty villain, competing with you to capture Bravo.  Had you two worked together before? 

RICKY:  No; but he’s a riot.  He’s fun to be around.  And he loves his horses and his westerns.  He rides the Hole-In-The-Wall-Gang Ride every year.  He was so much fun to have on the set, and what a pro. 


Martin Kove flanked by evil sons 
Holden and Luke Schroder


HENRY:  I was surprised and delighted to see Cliff Potts as your father.  A fine actor in westerns and everything else, but I don’t think I’ve seen him in a dozen years.

RICKY:  He hasn’t worked forever.  He lives close to me.  I know his son.  And his son said, “Hey, you should meet my dad.”  So I met Cliff, and with the first words out of his mouth I knew he was Top.  He was the right guy.  What a nice guy he is too, and what a pro.  I sure hope we get to make a sequel to this movie or – who knows – turn it into a series.  I would just have a blast every week, working with these people. 

HENRY:  It’s funny, I was thinking of a sequel, but I didn’t think of the potential for a series.  But it certainly could be.

RICKY:  Oh yeah, in my mind I have it partially developed.  Now I’ve just got to get Hallmark to come on-board. 

HENRY:  Any other upcoming projects we should know about?

RICKY:  I’m writing a script that I can’t really talk about it right now, but it’s very current.  I do have another project; I don’t want to say much, but it has been produced, and it’s in the can.  And it’s for the U.S. Army.  And it’ll be premièring, potentially, around the Army’s birthday, this June.  It’s an interesting project, called STARTING STRONG.  I’m excited for that project to see the light. 

HENRY:  If I could just ask a few LONESOME DOVE questions.  Where was it shot?

RICKY:  The original was shot in New Mexico, Angelfire in Montana, and Delrito, Texas.

HENRY:  When I watching it, I remembered that it was a Robert Halmi Production, but I was surprised to see the Motown logo. 

RICKY:  Suzanne de Pas was involved.  She was at Motown.

HENRY:  The director, Australian Simon Wincer, went on to do hits liked QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER and FREE WILLY.  What was he like to work with?

RICKY:  Very pleasant man.  Very pleasant to be around, as are most Australians. Very calm, capable.  The genius behind LONESOME DOVE; it was not Simon, although he did a wonderful job.  It was the script (by Larry McMurtry and William D. Wittliff), and it was Duvall, and the source material (the novel by Larry McMurtry).  That was the genius. 


Ricky Schroder as Newt in LONESOME DOVE


HENRY:  Any particular memories of the production?  Of Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones?

RICKY:  Tommy Lee I don’t think said two words to me besides what was in the script.  He didn’t interact like that with me.  Maybe he was just playing it the way (his character) Call played it, which was he didn’t acknowledge Newt.  So I didn’t get to know him at all.  Duvall is still a friend to me, and we talk at least every three months or so.  Memories?  I remember one morning I was walking down a cow trail, out in one of the cactus-covered paddocks they had there.  And I was hunting javelina with my bow and arrow.  Prickly-pear cactus is as thick as you can imagine, all around you.  Rattlesnakes just love prickly-pear cactus, because pack-rats like to live in there.  So the rattlesnakes go in there and eat ‘em.  I’m just about to put my foot down, stepping over a cactus, and there was the biggest rattlesnake I’ve ever seen.  And I’m not kidding you; it was an honest-to-goodness six feet long, and as fat as a baseball bat.  And I took that skin off that snake, and I sent it to Tony Lama (the great boot-maker), for a custom pair of boots.  And when they got to me, they finally caught up with me, those boot were too small.  So I gave them to my father.  He probably has them to this day.  I remember going over to Mexico a few times, having some fun over there with the Teamsters.  And I remember Duvall would always have a gathering.  Whenever he could get people together to go to this little local Mexican restaurant where they had live music.  And he would dance – he loved to tango.  He was always the life of the party.  He was fun to be around.  He was Gus. 

HENRY:  Sounds like he and Tommy Lee were very close to their own characters. 

RICKY:  They actually were.  Duvall was just so magnetic that people flocked to him.  As opposed to Call, who you just couldn’t get close to. 

HENRY:  Any memories of Diane Lane?

RICKY:  (laughs) Yeah.  Diane Lane I had a crush on.  I was seventeen and making LONESOME DOVE, and turned eighteen making it.  I remember, one afternoon, she was staying in the town-house next to mine.  And I got the courage to knock on her door.  She opened the door, and she said, “Hi Ricky.”  “Hi Diane.” “What are you doing?”  “Want to hang out?”  She said, “Sure Ricky.  Come on in.”  So I went in and sat with Diane Lane for about fifteen minutes.  Just wanting to be around her.  And she was just as sweet as could be.  And then she said she had to go to the airport to pick her husband up.  She’s got one brown eye and one blue eye.  She was awesome.  And Danny and Angelica.  And Tim Scott, who played Pea Eye, he was a heck of an interesting guy to be around.  And nice.  Perfect for that role.  He’s not with us anymore.  Larry McMurtry’s son James, a truly talented musician.  He would play once in a while after work.  Really good memories. 

HENRY:  It was about four years later that you returned as Newt in RETURN TO LONESOME DOVE.  How did the second experience compare with the first?

RICKY:  The source material wasn’t the quality of the first.  Jon Voight, I actually got him involved (as Call, Tommy Lee Jones’ character).  It’s funny how my career began with him (in THE CHAMP), and then we crossed paths again.  It was beautiful where it was shot.  It was Montana, which is spectacular.  It was Reese Witherspoon and Oliver Reed.  What a powerful actor he was.  It was a good time.  It was a good western; it wasn’t a great western.  LONESOME DOVE is a great western. 

HENRY:  When they went on to do the LONESOME DOVE series, they got Scott Bairstow, who sort of resembled you, to play Newt. Did you have any interest in doing that series? 

RICKY:  No.  I remember there was some early discussion of that with me, but I wasn’t ready to move to Alberta.  I had a life and kids and a ranch in Colorado, and it was just too big of a change.

HENRY:  Right.  And frankly, talking about something that was not up to the original, I thought the series was a huge step down. 

RICKY:  I never saw an episode, but I imagine it was.

HENRY:  In 1994, you were back at the Alamo Village in Brackettville for JAMES MICHENER’S ‘TEXAS’. 

RICKY:  With my buddy, Benjamin Bratt.  That was a lot of fun.  I played Otto McNab.  Gosh it was hot.  I remember there were actors passing out.  We were wearing wool uniforms, and it was 100 degrees and 90% humidity.  It was awful, awful hot.  But that was definitely a fun project. 

HENRY:  Any more westerns on the horizon?

RICKY:  I’ve got a western script I’ve been trying to get made since I was nineteen years old.  And I obviously can’t play it anymore – the lead role.  But hopefully one day I’ll get that one made.  It’s about the greatest moment in the history of the Pony Express.              

OUR WILD HEARTS – Movie Review




There is something to stories about teenaged girls and horses that is just ‘a natural’, and a natural is just what OUR WILD HEARTS is.  The film, a present-day western, is a Schroder Family affair.  Actor Ricky Schroder co-wrote the script with his wife Andrea, as a vehicle for their eldest daughter, sixteen-year-old Cambrie Schroder, and Ricky directed and co-starred as well.  But while this is a small movie, it’s not a vanity production, and Cambrie, who must carry the movie, is up to the job.  She also has her two brothers, sister, and mother along for back-up.

Cambrie plays Willow, a privileged teenager growing up in Malibu, an only child with a loving-but-busy mother, played by Angela Lindval.  What is missing in Willow’s life is a father, or even the slightest indication from her mother of who her father is.   A casual conversation with a girlfriend triggers a blow-up between mother and daughter on the subject.  At home, Willow goes poking through boxes of mementoes and pictures from her mother’s youth and finds a picture of Jack (Ricky Schroder).  It’s one of those rare times in movies when this sort of moment actually works: the resemblance between father and daughter is so great that denying it would be foolish; and after some hesitation, mom admits the truth.

Without preamble, daughter flies to Wyoming and appears at the ranch doorstep of a father who had no clue she existed, and he welcomes her with startling ease.  She has no idea of the kind of turmoil she has strayed into.  Her father and grandfather Top (Cliff Potts) are in imminent danger of losing the family homestead without an influx of cash.  Because this is mustang country, their best hope is to capture a celebrated wild stallion known as Bravo: Jack has a buyer (Eloise DeJoria) who would pay a small fortune to acquire Bravo, and put him out to stud.

Unfortunately, Jack’s ranch is all but surrounded by the property of a swine, played by one of the west’s finest swines Martin Kove.  Kove, as Grizz, assisted by his equally swinish sons (played, ironically, by Ricky Schroder’s sons Holden and Luke), wants to acquire Jack’s property, and sees capturing Bravo as a way to make this possible. 

As both teams set out to capture Bravo, a further complication appears.  A close, maybe mystical, connection between Willow and Bravo develops, and rather than let either man have the horse, Willow thinks he should be free. 

Among the nice surprises in OUR WILD HEARTS is the reappearance of Cliff Potts in the role of Ricky Schroder’s father.  For many years a very busy actor, whether in leads or supporting roles – SILENT RUNNING, SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION, THE LAST RIDE OF THE DALTON GANG – he’s been off the screen for nearly fifteen years.  Also, Willow’s romantic interest, ranch-hand Ryan, is played by Chris Massoglia, recently seen as the title character in CIRQUE DU FREAK: THE VAMPIRE’S ASSISTANT. 

Director Schroder makes good use of Cambrie’s skills as a rider and as a dancer, some lyrical sequences giving Cambrie, cinematographer Steve Gainer and music director Michael Lord a chance to show their talents.  Although most of the story is set in Wyoming, Gainer’s camera never left Southern California, but the rolling green hills and beautiful herds of wild horses are more than convincing – they’re invigorating to watch.

I won’t give away more of the story, but there is hard riding, shooting, roping, romance, and a down-to-the-wire climax.  It’s not only an enjoyable movie in its own right; it may even be a sneaky and effective way to covertly introduce teens and tweens to the western genre.  OUR WILD HEARTS premieres on Saturday night, March 9th, on the Hallmark Movie Channel.






 CAMBRIE SCHRODER ON HER FIRST MOVIE AND FUTURE PLANS




HENRY:  I understand from your dad that I’ve been mispronouncing your name – it’s not Cambrie with a short ‘a’, but Cambrie with a long ‘a’.

CAMBRIE:  That’s right.  I’ve never met another Cambrie, actually.  I think it’s because my grandpa went to Cambridge University.  But Cambridge was too long, so they shortened it and made it Cambrie. 

HENRY:  I just watched you last night in OUR WILD HEARTS, and you did a fine job; you carried the picture.

CAMBRIE:  Thank you, I’m glad you liked it.  Because I haven’t really shown it to anybody, so I haven’t heard any feedback. 

HENRY:  Now in the story, two things that are very important to your character are dance, and horses.  Is that true in real life?

CAMBRIE:  It’s definitely is.  I’ve been raised around horses and animals, and so they’re are a passion.  I was able to make that connection with horses when I was really young.  So acting with horses was really natural for me.  I’ve also been dancing since I was about four years old, so dancing and horses are two of my biggest passions, along with acting. 

HENRY:  How old are you now?

CAMBRIE:  I’m sixteen.  I like to think of my self as an adult, but I’m really not. 

HENRY:  I’m sure your parents remind you of that.

CAMBRIE:  Every day.  They’re like, ‘Cambrie, you’re sixteen: enjoy your childhood.’  Ever since I was four years old I’ve been wanting to be sixteen.  But I’m actually enjoying being sixteen.  I feel like it’s my great year, my golden year – I’m having a lot of fun. 

HENRY:  Growing up, did you see a lot of your father’s TV shows and movies?

CAMBRIE: Well actually I hadn’t seen too much of his work until we moved to Spain, where we had a lot of free time on our hands.  And then my sister and I watched a whole season of SILVER SPOONS.  It was really strange to watch him (as a kid).  So I’ve seen SILVER SPOONS now.  I’ve seen THE CHAMP.  He doesn’t watch any of his work himself, so it’s kind of hard for me to find it. 

HENRY:  When were you living in Spain?

CAMBRIE:  We were living in Spain in 2010.  I was 13.  We went there just to escape our busy life and take a break and reunite as a family.  I loved it so much – I learned fluent Spanish there; I was the only one who learned Spanish because I was at the perfect age to learn a language.  My parents were (sing-song) a little bit too old, my sister was a little bit too young, and my brothers just weren’t that interested. 

HENRY:  Speaking of your brothers and sisters, are they all in the movie?

CAMBRIE:  They are.  My two brothers play the two enemies, Marty Kove’s sons.  My little sister doesn’t have a speaking part, but she has an extra onscreen appearance, she’s at the barn party scene, dancing.  So you’ll see them all in the movie.  My sister’s still so upset about it: “I’m the only one who didn’t have a speaking part.”  And she just did an episode of SHAKE IT UP on the Disney Channel, so that made up for it. 

HENRY:  When did you decide you wanted to act?

CAMBRIE:  I’ve always been intrigued by it, as long as I can remember; just watching my dad at work, becoming a character on-set, and then coming home as my dad.  It’s always been an interest of mine, and then when I was about ten years old, I started going on auditions.  My parents weren’t encouraging, but they weren’t discouraging.  They wanted me to explore it and see if it was really something I would love to do.  And so soon enough they saw that I was going to do it with or without them, they were like, ‘We want to be the ones there to guide you on your first movie, and make you feel comfortable.’  And my dad’s so experienced that he had so much to offer and so much to teach me, that it was perfect.

HENRY:  You’re in high school now.  Do you plan to try and do more acting; do you plan to finish your education first?

CAMBRIE:  Both acting and an education are really important to me.  I’m currently a full-time student, and trying to keep really high grades up so I’ll have the option of going to college.  If other acting jobs come along, I’ll still have that to fall back on.  I can also pick the time to take off school, and have the flexibility to go and act.  I’m reading scripts and waiting for the next best script to come along.  I’m keeping my eyes open, and excited to see what my future holds.  But I will be acting again, for sure. 

HENRY:  Are there any actresses that you particularly admire, that you think, ‘I’d like to play her kind of role?’ 

CAMBRIE:  Actually last night I was looking up all about Jennifer Lawrence, and I love her.  She’s never taken an acting lesson in her life, and she’s able to transform into totally different characters, and not act as a different character, but become a different character.  I really admire that – not acting, but becoming.  So I really admire her.  I also love Angelina Jolie.   I’d love to do an action film.  I’d love to do some edgier stuff.  But both of those ladies are magnificent – I look up to them so much.  And Meryl Streep, oh!  There’re so many good actresses. 


 
HENRY:  What was the best part of filming OUR WILD HEARTS? 

CAMBRIE:  It was my first experience filming a movie, so having my family there was the best, because they were able to be honest with me in trying to get my best performance, but also being super-encouraging and making me feel comfortable. But I also loved working with the horses.  It was super fun because it made me look forward to something.  And working with Tommy – he was such a great horse, so well behaved and so well-trained.

HENRY:  So Tommy is the stallion the whole story revolves around?

CAMBRIE:  His name is Bravo in the movie, but in real life his name’s Tommy. 

HENRY:  What was the worst part – was there anything you did not like, or did not anticipate?

CAMBRIE:  There was really nothing that went wrong.  Everything that could have gone wrong went right.  But I knew it was a lot of hard work, because I’ve seen my dad work, and I know it’s not as glamorous as they make it out to be.  But I don’t think you understand how difficult something is until you actually go through it.  I worked long days – five in the morning, late nights, studying my lines, coming home and being exhausted; I worked really hard.  It was a very challenging experience, but it didn’t stop my love for it at all. 

HENRY: Outside of your family, was there anyone that you particularly we enjoyed working with? 

CAMBRIE:  Yes, I loved working with Chris Massoglia.  He plays my love interest.  He’s an amazing actor, but he’s also a great person.  He has great values, and he’s done a lot of other films and is really talented, so he was able to guide me.  And also, the wranglers of Tommy were very encouraging too.  I loved our cinematographer, Steve Gainer.  He’s a great cinematographer, but a great guy too.  He kept the set light, because my dad and I sometimes get too serious.  He would always crack jokes to lighten the mood.  When it’s raining and cold and everyone’s tired, grumpy and hungry, he keeps it positive and light hearted.  Because the whole experience is meant to be fun, and he made sure that would happen. 

HENRY:  Anything else I show know?

CAMBRIE:  You might not have known that I did almost all the stunts.  I did all the riding, and I had to ride bareback – I couldn’t walk the next day – that’s for sure!  I thought it was important for me to actually be the one riding, and when Bravo rears, before I fall off, it was scary, but fun, because I knew I was safe.  My dad didn’t like to watch that happen.  Then I wasn’t the one to fall off – we had a stunt person do that, but that’s the only thing I didn’t do.  I did everything else.   


THE WRAP-UP

That's it for tonight's Round-up!  Got some interesting things cooking for next week, but none of it's definite yet.

Happy Trails,

Henry

All Original Contents Copyright March 2013 by Henry C. Parke -- All Rights Reserved
 

1 comment: